Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sneak Preview of a brand new launch from Crafter's Companion


Edith Blackwell Holden’s collection of seasonal observations, poetry, and pictures of birds, plants, and insects—which was never even considered for publication when it was composed—had the nostalgic charm of a vanished world seven decades later. It became a world-wide best seller. This fabulous new launch from Crafter’s Companion encapsulates and brings to life Edith Holden’s gorgeous imagery for us all to enjoy.

Today is the first of my 8 sneaky peaks for the launch of this fabulous for day deal on Create and Craft TV on Monday 20th May 2013 at 8 am.

It seemed only right to choose the month of May for my first sample, seeing as it is actually May (already). May mean Maia’s month. Maia was an Italic goddess of Spring and know as Fauna by the Romans.




As soon as I saw this Bonus Paper I knew I had to use it. It is so gorgeous (and personally think it would make the most amazing wallpaper). A few weeks ago on a visit to a Pound Store I came across Photo Canvas copy paper so I thought I would have a go and see how this beautiful paper would look…I waited patiently as my printer set to the task (I printed it on the highest quality my printer would allow, which took ages). Well I can honestly say it was worth the wait.




Once I cut the paper to size and shape and rounded the edges I frayed the edges as I didn’t want it to look like paper and layered onto a matt of navy pearlaised card – I chose blue as there are gorgeous blue dragon flies on the backing paper and wanted to draw the colour out. I have a gorgeous stamp from Kaisercraft, Periwinkle Bird which I haven’t used so thought it would complement the backing paper perfectly. Once stamped I coloured the birds using watercolour paints, aged the edges with Tim Holtz Tattered Straw distress ink. The brown lace frame is available from Crafter’s Companion, Die’sire Decorative Die – Grace Frame. I cut it out using a piece of brown Co-ordinations card from the Vintage Collection. I sanded it lightly with my sanding block and added some Tim Holts Walnut Stain distress ink to the edges along with some gold ink. Using foam pads layered the stamped bird image onto the brown lace die cut frame.

Using the Camellia large and small Die’sire quilling die I made a flower from craft paper – 2 of the small and 3 of the large. I used my tweezers to manipulate the petals into the required shape. Selected a gold acorn shaped button for the centre of the flower.

Cut some leaves from green card stock and distress with Tim Holtz Walnut stain and using my extra large ball tool moulded them into shape.

Selected a sentiment from the cd which was framed in blue which co-ordinated perfectly.
In the Embellishments section for May there is a stack of sheets of paper from a diary – they don’t look anything fantastic when you print them out but once cut out and inked and aged they appear more realistic. They have a printed twine giving the illusion of keeping them together. To make them more authentic looking I actually tied real twine round them.



To decorate the card further I added some shop bought small delicate paper flowers (I chose peach as it brought out the colours in the birds feathers). Vintage ribbon was wrapped around the card and a bow made and attached. A swirl of pearls was added, along with a few sprays of dried flowers (which kind of looks like Gypsophila). The very small Cameo is actually an earring purchased from a very well know retailer beginning with P.

I hope you love this card as much as I do and would hope that Edith would approve.

Make sure you keep checking in for more sneak previews ahead of the launch on Create and Craft TV at 8 am Monday 20th May 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment